READS: September Round-Up

Sunday 6 October 2013

I had a great run on the reading front last month. Every single book lived up to expectation, but if I had to choose, I'd single out Heap House by Edward Carey as the best read. It was hugely original and full of dark humour, an unexpected winner. Every Day by David Levithan was a worthy runner-up. Massively hyped, but thankfully deserving of its accolades. You can read my longer review over at Chicklish. Third, The Diviners by Libba Bray, a paranormal thriller set in 1920's New York. This had a great cast of characters and a satisfyingly complicated plot.

It was difficult to rate The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater. I loved The Raven Boys and although the sequel had a lot going for it, it wasn't quite as magical - hence the four star review.

The final two, The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin and A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle, were both fulfilling reads, but also bore the hallmarks of their age. Sure classics, but not books I'd return to again.



The Dream Thieves
A Wrinkle in Time
Heap House
The Stepford Wives
Every Day


Melissa's favorite books »

No comments:

Post a Comment